Friday, June 5, 2009

so that the priest....

I had asked to whom Abraham was talking in Genesis 17. Henry thinks that God Himself is talking to Abraham here. "God is showing some of His power here, but not Gods shape. God calls to live life in a manner that God can actually like it. This verse does not proof that God came to Abraham 'in the flesh.'" Even though I believe that this interpretation is to loose compared to the actual text I can understand his thoughts: Gods is showing Himself to Abraham and Abraham drops on his face. The place of God isn't literally defined, so this passage can be interpreted on a 'spiritual' way. This would indeed mean that God shows His strength or signs to Abraham. However, in chapter 18 this would be rather difficult. "Who does Abraham see in Genesis 18?" I interrupt Henry. "God the Creator Himself of course," he answers again. I am wondering, however, how Henry could defend this viewpoint, so I cite this passage before him: "And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant." I explained this passage this way: "The Lord, in Hebrew: Elohim, appeared here to Abraham. He saw three men. I wonder how God can show up when he can;t be seen. How can this happen?" I ask Henry. He doesn't give an answer, so I move on.

"God shows up and Abraham sees Him. Abraham bows down 'before him.' How can Abraham bow before God after God appeared to him? I believe this cannot be interpreted on a symbolic manner. In verse 8 it even states that God ate. That is obviously against the tradition, as a spirit cannot eat. God is spirit (John 4,24)." Henry agrees that a spirit cannot eat. "In the gospel of Luke I can clearly see the thought that a spirit cannot eat (Luke 24:39-43). This thought appears rightly to me. I believe therefore that it where the angels that ate on this occasion." I did not agree with this explanation. "In Judges 13 an angel of God is offered food, but he refuses it. The food offered is better being used as a sacrifice to God. The angels would eat and God would not? That seems strange to me. There is a prominent thing in this passage. It seems like angel and God are used random here. Henry agrees. "I believe that when an angels speaks it is in fact God who speaks through the angel. The angels is no more than a medium." I answer Henry: I'd like to discuss this on a later moment, for now however I want to discuss Abraham first." Henry: That's al right."

"After eating Abraham walked together with the angels and God. I believe this must be taken literally. I do so because the other two falked further to Sodom(19,1) en God stands together with Abraham. After they talked the Lord God ent from Abraham. For me this appears to be strictly physical." Henry: As you say it there is something that makes some sense. However, I cannot understand how you can solve the problem that God is spirit (John 4,24) en no human (Hosea 10:9)" I wasn't yet finished with the explanation of the physical appeaeance of God on some occasions. I wanted to go by those first. I'm not sure Henry would agree, so I asked him.

No comments:

Post a Comment