Tuesday, June 9, 2009

truth

Not just Marc is studying on the subject truth. So am I. Well, we are in fact not certain that there even is a truth. There might as well be no more than just a floating thought, a thought that is, that was but that has never been. Something such as the thing I just tried to catch in words. Truth evidently is a mystery to us, a mystery that will not easily be solved. The most interesting question is how you can possibly proof truth. Now the existence of a truth is in fact only assumed. This assumption is the thing that modern science is based on at first. Modern science is based on some other little things. There is some point where, being consistent, nothing that is is truth. If we ask the question what there was before the big bang is the same damn question as the question what there was before God. It can't be answered, it can not even be tried. How the things came into existence. We don't know. There are many more things that we are not certain of. As we are consistent we must believe it all is a lie. There is a evolution theory. This theory shows that through genetic mutations all animals have changed their entire form. From evolution all the species arose. There is a thing only that is necessary for this theory. This thing is that with mutations it would have to be possible that information would be added. Genetic, however, learn us that with not even a single mutation information was added. Each mutation seems to be responsible for a loss of information. There was said that science could explain all things. What we see however is that the many things that cannot be explained by scientist are ignored completely by them. What to believe?

There are many things today that we do not understand. It causes us to rethink whether we believe all problems can be solved or not. It cause us to rethink our entire philosophy. We need to question if there is a truth or not. I started to think whether there is a truth or not. The movie "The Matrix" has had a large part in this. The question I asked is how we can be sure if there is a truth. I was thinking about this subject lately and I foud out that the things that we believe to be true have clear boundaries. I found this out when I was consistently questioning all truth. I found out that I thought that I was laying on the beach, in this case, but it might be that I did not lay on the beach. It might as well have been a phantasy. It might even be a phantasy that I thought that I was laying on the beach. It all could simply be phantasy. Everything. Everything?

I decided for myself that, if it all was phantasy it was not real. In other words, everything that is phantsy is no truth and the other way around. Where phantasy starts reality stops. There is a boundary that both can not pass. When you got a cup of coffee on a morning you might try to catch something through that cup. It won't work. There is a boundary, which is in this occasion the cup. You know that there is a cup because you cannot grap through it. You might say: I know that there is a cup because I can see the cup. I believe that might be a true argument. But as we look at situations in the past it might be that our own senses are little disturbing. Science though is based on the proposition that there is a truth that can be known by experience, by our own senses. If, well, experience, would be a illusion there would be no science possible.

I decided that through boundaries we can find out know about truth. I also realised that it is only a knowledge of truth from the outside. We know that truth ends somewhere because we know that the boundary of truth is where phantasy starts. But I do not know what the truth is. It must be there, and by defining the boundaries of phantasy I can partly define the boundaries of truth. But I cannot by any means define the meaning of that truth by the knowledge that I've gained right now. It is certain that there is a truth, somewhere. As I started to try to find this truth I realised that this means that I must be a philosopher. If I wouldn't be I would never submit myself to such a lifework. I started to think about a question. Which thing is true? I thought, maybe it might be possible simply to find out the things that are the true and the things that are not true. I believe this is called the scientific method. With the scientific method the explanation which is the most simple is used and tried to be proven. Well, with my method I would try to just make a shift between the things that are true and the things that are phantasy. A shift between the things that are ideas and the things that are reality.

It didn't really work out that way. It appeared to be impossible to proof. Anyway, if I would just make a simple shift it would be only arbitrary to do so. But it annoys me that there would be a truth, which I believe is evidently there, and I wouldn't be able to find out what the truth is. If I don't know the truth I will have to base my decision on something else than truth. I would assume things to be true. But I wouldn't know. So, I remanined with the question how I could know the substance of the truth. It is a tought question. I'll need a little more time to rethink some. The first thing I will do is to define the boundaries of truth and phantasy. This will be a tough assignment in itself. If I am able to accomplish this, at least partly I will try to summarize the content of truth. This is a very tough question. I know that many scientists, philosophers, theologians and others have strived to know the content of truth. They couldn't accomplish it. I won't either. However, I might make a start from another viewpoint and try to find answers on some specific questions.

1 comment:

  1. Forgive me for just using a oneliner today: Jesus is the Truth, everything else is unimportant.

    ReplyDelete